Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Obama White House in blackspeak

"Yo, yo, yo, Ron. We in da house, my man." the jubilant brother said, as he put up his fist, awaiting my return dap. " Barack did it. You said it wasn't gonna happen."

"Actually, Rico(not his real name), I said I hoped it wouldn't happen because I don't want another JFK story." I corrected him.

"Aight(pronounced ah-ite), aight. But you know what it means, though."

"It means we have a new president and another positive, much needed footnote to our history." the diplomat in me responded.

"Yo, Ron. Stop being all political and stuff. Save that for your column. Times gon' change, man. I'm telling you, they already changed. Now, when I walk into any place, they gotta recognize me as a black man." he proclaimed.

Slipping into "hood- mode," I said, " Yo, Rico. On a national and hopefully international level, I hope Obama generates a lot of change. But down here with you and me, the only change we'll see is the change we make. Just because a black man is president, that doesn't change your credit score or anything on your resume. And it won't make you be on time for work, help you pass a pre-employment drug screen, or guarantee you free cable."

"I see what you on, Ron. I'm out." sounding dejected as he walked away.

Then there was my girl, Suz. One of the most wonderful creatures God put on this earth. She's close to my age, and has more common sense, compassion, and giving spirit than anyone other than my stepdad I have ever met.

"Good morning, America," she shouts everytime she sees me, regardless of the time of day.

"Sup Suz." is always my brief greeting because I know what's to come.

"I'll tell you what's up, my nigga. Michelle Obama in the White House. She's measuring drapes, changing the dinnerware to styrofoam, and putting plastic all over the furniture. It's a new day baby. Ok, Ron. I'm just kidding.

"Look, Suz. If she just learns how to dress, I will be happy. She can't be wearing bright fire-engine red everyday. She has to accentuate those hips. You know I'm a butt man. And a lips, boobs, and ankles man, too. So, she's only batting 25 percent with me."

"Naw, seriously, though." she went on. "Michelle gonna be a classy bitch. She gon' bring up da hoodwinks and heffas to a new level, baby."

Interrupting her, " You know what Suz? You talk just like Michelle Obama."

"The hell I do. That woman is educated. I heard her talking on television. She speaks very well." Suz added, with an uppity tone to her voice.

"Exactly. And that is what I hopes she takes to da White House.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At November 13, 2008 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

this post leaves me quite speechless. However, I did manage to type these few words....

 
At November 14, 2008 at 8:00 AM , Blogger rondering said...

Queen. Im glad the cat didn't get your keyboard.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home