Saturday, December 20, 2008

I was 50; she was only 8, but I fell in love with her

Each year a few local organizations take children from area after school programs Christmas shopping.

This particular organization was a regional liquor association, a group of bars, taverns, saloons, pubs, liquor stores, restaurants, diners, etc..., had raised enough money throughout the year to give 250 kids ages 6-10 a $50 Christmas shopping spree.

So it was, 250 kids and about 50 adult volunteers on an early, blustery, snowy Sunday morning at Target. A 5:1 ratio was doable. At 15 minutes per five kids, we would all be done in less than 90 minutes.

I stood in the adult line waiting for the next kid to come forth, hoping it was a boy with an idea of what he wanted. Well, things do not always work out that way.

Next up was a cute, yet homely looking girl. She was just as afraid of me as I was of her. She waved bye to her daddy, who probably had his own doubts about me, and walked ahead of me.

I broke the ice. " Hi, how are you, and what's your name?

"I'm Cindy(not her real name) and I am fine."

"Nice to meet you. Do you know what you want to buy with your $50?"

"Well, my daddy said to buy some clothes."

Shit. Just what I needed. She has no idea what size she wears, and I ain't going nowhere near a dressing room with a an 8 year-old girl who looks nothing like me.

"OK. So do you have something in mind like shoes or jeans?"

"I don't know," she said, as we entered the girls' clothing section.

She picked up several things as I tabulated in my head, $7.99, $14.25, $22.80, $29.35. "You have about $20.00 left," suggesting she pick up the pace as it was now about 20 minutes later.

She then put everything down and had a look that said she was going to start all over. At the same time I'm thinking her dad must be thinking what's this guy doing with my daughter all this time.

Then she looked up at me with a confused, guilty look and asked, " Do I have to buy stuff only for myself?"

"Well, you were chosen for this trip because you earned it somehow. Probably because you are a good girl. So, I would say yes."

Her eyes told me I had disappointed her. The little runt was really starting to try my patience. It was now going on 30 minutes, and I had seen several other adults with their second and third child.

Looking up at me, she whispered, " I don't want anything. Do you think I would be in trouble if I bought my little brother something?"

Damn. Just that quick, this little brat had morphed into the most loving , unselfish, considerate creature.

"I'm sure that would be ok, but we need to hurry."

She picked up her step and marched over to the toy section, grabbing stuff at random.$5.99, $12.00, $21.00, $32.00, I calculated. "You have about $18 left," I warned her with the urgence of a referee's two minute whistle.

"OK, " she said, grabbing just one more thing, a big truck, "that's it."

Thankful my hour was almost up, I led the way to the register. Without realizing it, I traced our steps back through the girls' section. I found her previous choices on the floor where she had dropped them. I picked them up and headed to the event's designated register.

Before the clerk began ringing the items, I explained to her that I would cover the amount over the $50 limit. By my count, the total should have been almost $90.

She quickly scanned the items and said, "Wow, that's exactly $50. What a smart shopper you are," smiling at my little shopping companion and giving me a wink, pushing my $50 bill back into my hand.

I watched Cindy sprint to her dad with two big bags dragging the floor. He picked her up, giving me an approving smile.

Meanwhile, my wife, who had taken about four kids shopping during that same time, asked how things went.

"It was an adventure, " I said.

"Took you long enough. I thought you had met someone and fallen in love."

"I did," was all I could say as I watched Cindy and her dad leave the store.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At December 20, 2008 at 7:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Its the little things we find that make this ride all worthwhile...thanks for sharing.

 
At December 20, 2008 at 12:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed to read a story like that right about now. Maybe there is a little down-to-earth hope in this bubble-world.

 
At December 20, 2008 at 9:00 PM , Blogger Proud Mom said...

Oh what we can learn from children . . .

Job well done, Ron!!!!

 
At September 6, 2012 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Kleopatra said...

Wow that is so sweet. What a lovely, selfless little creature! This story just warmed my heart.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home