Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Three people I would love to talk to

It's one of the most asked rhetorical questions. What three people would you like to have dinner with or just talk to?

Most answers tend to be people far out of our reach. Either they are dead, too famous, rich, just not interested in meeting us, or have no idea of our desire to meet them. If they are alive, it would take Dear Abby or Oprah to arrange such a meeting. If they are dead, well, depending upon your beliefs, you may or may not get your wish granted.

But, hey, we can pretend, huh? My three, all dead by the way, in this particular order are: O.V.,my stepdad, Jesus Christ, John Gotti.

My stepdad is still the most wonderful person I have ever known. He said very little, but what he said, he stood behind. I never knew him to be a coward. Even when he admitted that if what he said or did was not right, he said it was part of him. He was just wrong, not ashamed. He was a genuine, giving person. I never knew him to criticize others behind their back. And if he didn't agree with something or someone, he distanced himself from it or them.

So, if I could have that once last Budweiser with him, I would ask him where I stood in trying to walk in his shoes. Or how much more toilet paper I need to stick in the toes to fill his loafers.

Then, there is my long wanted chat with Jesus. If only I could ask him a few things. Like, Jesus, how in the hell do you think of forgiving anyone at the very moment they are killing you? Or, what did you put in that water to make that wine, and what brand is it today? If you had been wearing a pair of Nike Air Force Ones would the Roman soldiers have been able to catch you? And finally, Jesus, are you really coming back and why? If so, when? I can keep a secret. I promise I won't put it in my blog.

Then there is my man, former mafia boss John Gotti. I wouldn't have a lot of questions, but rather a few observations. Of course I'd address him as Mr. Gotti. Then I would tell him how much I appreciated the true mentoring part of his organization. It's remarkable how they literally stick by each other til death do they part. In a sense, his organization had stronger bonds than most marriages. And, finally when he was forced to spend his last years in confinement, he didn't squeal like a bitch. He didn't rat out his organization.

While I don't agree with everything written, known, guessed, or made up about them, these three men, in my opinion, were the epitome of manhood. They stood behind their words, beliefs, acts. They didn't take anybody down with them. The were the antithesis of COWARD. They were not politicians. In a crowd of weeds, they stood out like a flower.

In my daily search, I am looking for a living person of such stature to have dinner with. Until then, I'll eat alone.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home